What goes in the Brown Bin?
Yes please to:
- Flowers and plants
- Grass clippings
- Hedge trimmings
- Twigs and small branches
No thanks to:
- Plastic bags, containers or packaging
- Bin liners
- Stones, soil or rubble
- Cat/dog/pet waste
- Kitchen waste
- Drinks cartons
- Plant pots
- Wire mesh
Please remember that it is important to place the correct items in your bin.
A brown bin will be deemed to be incorrectly presented if
- The lid is not fully closed
- The bin is assessed as being over heavy
- It contains materials that cannot be composted
If your bin is incorrectly presented we will place a tag on your bin and not empty it until the next collection date.
Managing Garden Waste
Plant waste production has peak periods - grass cutting in the summer, clearing of leaves during the autumn, trimming of shrubs before early spring etc.
During these peak periods your bin space may not be enough. On those occasions there are alternatives:
- As plant waste is not produced continuously in the same way as green bin waste is, store your plant waste in bags until your next collection when you have space. Garden waste does not attract vermin therefore it can be stored. If storing in bags, leave the bags open until the moisture has evaporated. This will get rid of the damp grass smell.
- Take your excess garden waste to Forthbank Recycling Centre, Bowhouse Road, Alloa where it will be recycled.
- Request a bulky uplift of your garden waste, please note that bulky uplifts are chargeable.
- Compost your garden waste. As well as being a good way of getting rid of your extra grass clippings, you can also compost fruit and vegetable waste from the kitchen.
What can I do if my brown bin smells?
Wet grass smells if left in a closed container. Create an air gap by placing a wedge between the lid and the bin. Leave enough space that will keep the rain out but will still allow the moisture in the grass to evaporate. It is the moisture in the grass that causes the bin to smell. By doing this, it also makes the grass less likely to stick to your bin, making it easier for us to empty.
For Further Information Contact
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000