Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Abandoned Vehicles

Abandoned Vehicles

Scrap or "end of life" cars contain many fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluids, etc) that are harmful to the environment so it is especially important they are disposed of responsibly. 

If you are the owner of an end of life car there are numerous ways of disposing of them - and in many cases you will even get some cash for it, regardless of its condition.

Even if your end of life car is absolutely valueless you can still get it disposed of free of charge under the End of Life Vehicle Regulations. See SEPA's website for more information about end of life vehicle disposal

The Council can't have a vehicle removed because it is dangerous, obstructs or takes up car parking spaces, doesn't look nice or because no one is using it, etc. We can only arrange to uplift a vehicle that has actually been "abandoned". To be abandoned the owner must have given up all rights to the vehicle.

A vehicle is not abandoned simply because it is in poor condition, untaxed or without an MOT, although this information may assist us determining that it has been abandoned. Bear in mind that some vehicles, even in a derelict condition, can have significant value. So, regardless of its condition, we must make proper enquiries to trace the owner first.

We need to make contact with the DVLA as part of those enquiries so they can take time (immediate removal is never possible). We will also consider a number of other factors. If the vehicle has a valid tax and/or MOT it will not be considered abandoned regardless of its condition.

Once we determine a vehicle is abandoned we will arrange for its removal and disposal. The owner will be reported for criminal proceedings and we will also pursue them for all costs we incur including the costs of recovery vehicles which are usually substantial.

The Council does not deal with the roadworthiness of cars, or road traffic offences, eg obstruction, being untaxed or having no current MOT. These are matters for the police and should be reported to them by calling 101. 

If you wish to report a vehicle as abandoned we will need some details from you before we can proceed with the enquiry:

  • Your details
  • Precise vehicle location
  • Vehicle make, model, colour, registration number, etc
  • Vehicle condition (flat tyres, vandalised, burnt out, etc)
  • How long you know the vehicle has been there

Report an abandoned vehicle

To report an abandoned vehicle, please use the secure online form.

Car Uplift Service

You can also find information on scrap car collection, recycling and obtaining a DVLA Certificate of Destruction by visiting This site includes an instant quote facility for collection of your old vehicle.

For Further Information Contact

Environmental Health
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000