Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Environmental Health

Environmental Health

Environmental Health monitor and regulate many activities that impact on people’s health, safety and well being. Please follow the links on the right for further information about our services.

Air Quality Management

We monitor air quality at various locations around Clackmannanshire. We have a fixed site monitor at King Street, Alloa which continuously monitors for pollutants such as Nitric Oxide, Nitrogen Oxides, Nitrogen dioxide and particulates at both 10 microns and 2.5 microns. A temporary monitoring site is located on Hallpark Road, Alloa. It measures the same pollutants as the fixed site.

Animal Health and Welfare

We work in partnership with Stirling Council to provide an Animal Health and Welfare service which is primarily responsible for the statutory provisions with regard to the health and welfare of farmed animals. 

In terms of obtaining a licence for breeding dogs, cats or rabbits or provision of animal boarding or operating an animal welfare establishment, the Licensing service must be contacted with regard to applying for a licence. The Environmental Health service along with animal welfare officers will inspect such premises to ensure compliance with legislative requirements. This will only be carried out after the Licensing service has received an application and consulted with the Environmental Health service who will provide advice and guidance on the standards required. 

In terms of domesticated animals we provide advice and guidance with regard to lost and stray dogs and dog control such as an aggressively behaved dog. 

We also regulate in terms of dog control and stray dogs. 

Contaminated Land

We provide a service that investigates land sites which, through historic use, could be contaminated.  We work within a legal framework as to what contaminated land is. This is because anything on, or in, the land could be classed as contamination. 

If the matter doesn’t meet the legal definition of 'contaminated' we will not be able to take any action.

Food Safety

The food we eat is one of the most critical elements of our health and safety.  We regulate most aspects of food safety, provide advice to businesses and consumers and inspect food businesses on a regular basis. 

We will investigate food complaints and carry out routine sampling of food which is placed on the market for sale. This, along with many other food safety activities, helps ensure the food you buy is safe to eat.

Health and Safety at Work

We regulate certain businesses in terms of the Health and Safety at Work, etc. Act 1974. The regulatory activity is split between the HSE and Local Authorities.

In general terms the Council regulates the sale or storage of goods, exhibitions, office activities, catering, hotels, guest houses, residential care homes, certain cosmetic and therapeutic treatments, leisure and cultural activities, animal care, religious activities and child care. 

We will investigate complaints and, where required, inspect workplaces to ensure they provide a safe environment for employees and others affected by the work activity.

Houses in Multiple Occupation

The Council licences Houses in Multiple Occupation. These are houses that provide accommodation for more than two unrelated households. This can be a house, flat, bedsit, student halls or residence, etc where facilities such as cooking, washing and toilets are shared by three or more unrelated people. 

We ensure that the accommodation is safe and meets certain standard for the people living there.

Statutory Nuisance

We are responsible for noise, odour, smoke, dust and other issues that may cause a statutory nuisance to people. Many aspects have to be proved to establish a statutory nuisance and it must be much more than an annoyance. It must be something that is prejudicial to health or materially affect the use or enjoyment of someone’s home. 

Private Water Supplies

We regulate and monitor a number of private water supplies in Clackmannanshire to ensure that people using these supplies have clean and wholesome water. 

We carry out sampling and monitoring of these supplies and will require work to be carried out if they don’t meet the legal standards required.

Reporting issues

You can report a range of environmental health issues by using our online Report It service or Comments and Complaints form.

For Further Information Contact

Environmental Health
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000