Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Falls prevention

Falls prevention

People of all ages fall, but older people are at greater risk. As a result of falls, some people lose their confidence and may stay in their home to avoid falling again.

Older people are also more likely to experience serious injury when they fall which can result in a loss of mobility and independence.

It is important to inform your general practitioner (GP) or other Health/Social Care worker if you have fallen or are concerned about falling.

As we get older, we've got to look after ourselves a bit more. The good news is there are lots of things which we can do together to keep you on your feet.

We work with our colleagues at NHS Forth Valley to promote your independence and would like to work along-side you to reduce your risk of falling.

Here are some things you can do:

  • Move around when you can - using your muscles can help you to keep muscle strength that can reduce the risk of falls
  • Access community exercise classes
  • If you have a walking aid, use it at all times and keep it in good working order. Replacement rubber stoppers (ferrules) can be accessed from your local physiotherapy department
  • Ensure you wear your glasses and your hearing aids if you have them
  • Wear footwear when walking around indoors as walking in socks or bare-foot can increase the risk of falling
  • Wear clothing which is comfortable and not too long
  • If you have a MECS pendant (worn either round your neck or on your wrist), then wear it at all times - this includes wearing it when having a bath or shower
  • Make sure you eat regularly and keep your fluid levels up - if you are having problems eating let a Health/Social Care worker know
  • Ensure good housekeeping - don't have things lying around which can cause a tripping hazard
  • Some medications can increase your risk of falls so contact your General Practitioner or Pharmacist if you are having problems with your medication or experiencing side effects (including dizziness/drowsiness)
  • Let someone know if you are feeling unwell or unsteady on your feet
  • Learn more about preventing a fall through through NHS Forth Valley's falls management pathway

Things we can offer:

We can undertake an assessment of you and your home environment* to identify risk factors which may result in referral to:

  • Community rehabilitation services
  • Rehabilitation Centre for specialist falls assessment
  • Monitoring devices in your home, such as a fall detector

*Note that this is different to a Social Work Care Assessment

In summary

  • Report your falls to any Health or Social Care worker you are in contact with (eg General Practitioner, District Nurse, Social Worker, Occupational Therapist) or complete our online form for more information.
  • If you are having problems with balance or mobility, your General Practitioner can refer you to a physiotherapist for assessment

For Further Information Contact

Adult Care
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 452498 / 450000