Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Adult Carers

Adult Carers

Are you a carer?

You may become a carer at any stage in your life. Carers provide unpaid support to a relative, friend or neighbour who has a physical disability, a learning disability, mental ill health, dementia, is dependent on alcohol or drugs or who is elderly and frail.

As a carer, you may be doing any one or more of these things:

  • Providing physical support and help with personal care
  • Help with household tasks
  • Help with letters, phone calls and meetings
  • Help with legal matters for example powers of attorney or guardianship
  • Taking care of finances
  • Listening and encouraging
  • Help to get the person out and about or take part in social activities
  • Just being there for them

Caring can be a rewarding and fulfilling. It can also be stressful and impact on your health and wellbeing. You may be looking for some help to become more confident as a carer, information about your rights as a carer or support to identify goals for your own life.

Are you a young carer?

A young carer is under 18 years of age or is over 18 and still at school.

We have a separate web page containing information about Young Carers.

What is the Carers (Scotland) Act 2016?

The Carers (Scotland) Act 2016 introduced new rights for carers.

You can request an Adult Carer Support Plan which will set out your personal outcomes and identified needs. There is a duty to provide support for carers whose needs meet the local eligibility criteria.

You can also refer to the Clackmannanshire and Stirling Health and Social Care Carers' Strategy 2019-22.

What help can I get as a carer?

Across Clackmannanshire, there are many supports and services that can help you in your caring role.  These services include information and advice, emotional support, carers groups, money advice, training and direct support services for you and for the person you care for.

You can access many of these services without the need for an Adult Carers Support Plan.

Where can I go for help and advice?

You can contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.

You can also contact the local Carers Centre for information and advice on  01259 226839.

Forth Valley Carers Card

If you are a carer, the Forth Valley Carers card provides identification and recognition of your role as a carer. The card also ensures you are more easily identified by health and social care professionals.

For Further Information Contact

Adult Care
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 452498 / 450000