Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Information for Claimants

Information for Claimants

How much LHA will I get?

The amount of LHA you will get will depend upon

  • the number of bedrooms you need;
  • what income and savings you have.
How many bedrooms am I entitled to?

We work this out by taking into account the number of people who live with you, and their ages. We do not count other rooms such as livings rooms, kitchens or bathrooms. The number of bedrooms you are entitled to is then used to work out the maximum LHA rate that applies to you.

The usual rules are that you are entitled to one bedroom for

  • every adult couple (married or unmarried);
  • any other adult aged 16 or over;
  • any 2 children of the same sex aged under 16;
  • any 2 children aged under 10;
  • any other child.

Other rules that apply:

  • If you are under 35 you will be entitled to LHA @ shared room rate;
  • If you are over 35 and live in shared accommodation you will be entitled to LHA @ shared room rate;
  • If you are under 35 and classed as severely disabled you will be entitled to LHA @ 1 bedroom.

The maximum bedroom rate that can be awarded is the 4 bedroom rate.

What if my rent is not the same as the LHA rate that applies to me?

If you find a property you like with a rent which is more than your LHA, you will need to pay the difference yourself.

How will I be paid LHA?

You will have your benefit paid directly into your bank account.

It is up to you to pay your rent to your landlord. If you don't pay your rent, you may be taken to court and evicted from the property.

Can I have benefit paid directly to my landlord?

Not normally.

In some cases we can consider making payments direct to your landlord where

  • we decide that it is likely you will have difficulty in managing your finances. This may be because you have a learning disability or problems with drugs or alcohol;
  • it seems unlikely that you will pay your rent. You may have failed to pay your rent in the past;
  • you have rent arrears of 8 weeks or more.

If you want direct payments to go to your landlord, please write to us giving the details.

For Further Information Contact

Revenue Services
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000