Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Instrumental Music Tuition Scheme - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Instrumental Music Tuition Scheme - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How do I apply for instrumental tuition for my child?

Application for tuition can be made by completing our CM11 application form for instrumental music tuition which can be downloaded from this page. This form is also available from all school offices or by contacting us using the details at the bottom of this page.

Once we have received your application form, your child will then be added to the waiting list for the instrument they have expressed an interest in.

When a place becomes available, we will make arrangements for an instrumental tutor to contact your child at school in order to carry out an evaluation on your child's suitability to the instrument requested. This is not an evaluation of your child's musical ability.

At what age can a child start instrumental music tuition?

Application for music tuition can be made from P1 up to S6, but pupils must be physically able to manage the instrument.

Brass and woodwind pupils are usually able to start around P4/5 once second teeth are in place.

Violin and cello pupils may start before this as the instruments come in a series of sizes.

Voice tuition is available from P7 upwards.

How long is the waiting list?

The waiting list varies for each instrument and depends on available places, instruments and tutor time.

How long will each lesson last?

A lesson will last around 30 minutes and pupils are taught in groups.

Do I need to supply my child with an instrument?

No. Most instruments are available on loan from Clackmannanshire Council.

If your child has the loan of a Clackmannanshire Council Instrument, you will be required to complete a form agreeing to certain conditions.

Do I have to pay for the loan of a Council instrument?

No. There is no charge for the loan of the instrument.

The borrower must, however, meet the replacement/service cost of lost or/and damaged instruments.

The instrument must be returned to Clackmannanshire Council if for any reason the lessons are ceased.

How often should my child practise?

A scheduled, daily practise time should be a minimum of 15 minutes per day in the early stages, increasing as progress is made to a minimum of 30 minutes.

How can I support my child's practise?

Parents themselves may not be musicians, but they can support their child by

  • offering praise and encouragement,
  • monitoring practise times,
  • reminding your child to practise new work first,
  • suggest practising more slowly in short sections if wrong notes and hesitations keep recurring,
  • checking notes written by the tutor in the record of work book and ensuring your child has accurately read them.
What if my child wishes to cease lessons?

Parents/carers should inform the tutor in writing the reason for stopping and return the Council instrument.

For Further Information Contact

Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 225070/452474