Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Transporting Business Waste

Transporting Business Waste

The council is bound by national laws about accepting waste from commercial customers.

If you transport controlled waste within the UK in the course of your business, you must register with the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA).

Controlled waste is any kind of household, commercial, industrial or agricultural waste including any waste from a house, shop, office, factory or any other trade or business premises.

The transport of waste is regulated by:

  • Waste Management Licensing (Scotland) Regulations 2011
  • Controlled Waste (Registration of Carriers and Seizure of Vehicles) Regulations 1991

The regulations are in place to ensure that all waste is properly recycled, recovered or disposed of and to prevent fly tipping.

For more information please visit the SEPA website.

If you carry waste and do not register, you could be prosecuted.

The Council cannot accept business waste at Forthbank Recycling Centre, Bowhouse Road, Alloa unless you are registered and have a pre paid method in place. For more information about pre-payment methods visit our Commercial Waste web page.

There are two types of registration:

Registering as a Professional Collector and Transporter of Waste

This is if you:

  • are a charity or voluntary organisation and you transport waste.
  • a business that transports waste that has been produced as a result of your business (unless it is construction and demolition waste).

There is no charge for this registration and it lasts indefinitely unless it is revoked or withdrawn.

You can register online via the SEPA website.

Registering as a Waste Carrier

This applies if you transport other peoples waste or your own construction and demolition waste. The requirement to register applies to sole traders as well as partnerships and companies.

Types of businesses which may require registration include

  • building/construction
  • painter/decorator
  • electrician, plumber, joiner and glazier
  • roofing contractor
  • carpet fitter
  • gardener/landscaper

For further information please visit the SEPA website. You can also contact SEPA on 03000 99 66 99.

If you carry controlled waste then you must register as the law will not allow us to take your waste.