Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Get Ready for Winter

Get Ready for Winter

Being prepared for severe weather is something we all need to do. The information and links contained on this page aim to help you to think ahead.

Contacting the Council

In the event of severe weather and you need to contact us about a problem, please use the contact details on our Customer Services web page.

You can also refer to our Useful Telephone Numbers in an Emergency and Coping with snow and flooding web pages.

Schools, nurseries and out of school care

If you are unsure whether or not your local school or nursery has had to close due to the weather, please check our home page in the first instance.

We will also post updates on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

Frozen or burst pipes

Council tenants should call our Repair Centre on 01259 452000 for advice and assistance.

Scottish Water advice on protecting your home

Scottish Water's website offers advice on how to be prepared in winter

Power Loss

Information on what you should do in the event of power loss can be found on SP Energy Networks page below:

Winter Maintenance

For details about our winter programme, please refer to our Winter Maintenance page.

Grit Bins

For information about grit bins, you can refer to our Grit Bins Frequently Asked Questions page.


Winter driving

Our Winter Driving web page also contains useful pointers if it is essential for you to travel in bad weather.

The websites below also have up to the minute information:


During winter keep the central heating on or concentrate on keeping the main living area in your home to at least 21 degrees Centigrade.

Close your curtains at dusk to keep the heat in, and make sure they are above or behind the radiator.

If your gas central heating goes off suddenly when the outside temperature is very low, it may be because the condensator has frozen. Call our contact centre on 01259 450000 for instructions on how to defrost it.

You can refer to our Home Energy web pages for more information.

Council tenants

If you're a Council tenant and you're going away, the Council can drain down your heating system free of charge.

Be a good neighbour

Keep an eye on elderly neighbours, relatives and friends.

If you, or someone you know, is a vulnerable resident and are at risk as a result of adverse weather, then please call our Contact Centre.

We check hundreds of vulnerable people each day to make sure they are safe and warm and can deliver meals, bring people in to residential accommodation or clear paths and stairs for people who are unable to help themselves.

Other useful links

For Further Information Contact

Communications & Community
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000