Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Kinship Care

Kinship Care

Clackmannanshire Council are committed to supporting our Kinship Carers and follow the latest Scottish Government guidance.

The extended family (grandparents, aunts, elder siblings etc) has long played a role in caring for children whose parents were unable to do so - a practice commonly referred to as kinship care.

There are two kinds of kinship carers:

  • Family members, other than parents, raising children full-time (this does not include family members who provide childcare).
  • Family members, other than parents, who are primary carers for extended periods, for example, grandparents of grandchildren considered to be at risk when their parents have a drug problem.

Is this a private arrangement?

Kinship care may be a short-term private arrangement between parents and a relative or friend, where the child goes to live with the kinship carer until they can return to their parents. If a private kinship arrangement is likely to last longer than 28 days, then our Social Services, Child Care service needs to become involved and the suitability
of the kinship carer must be assessed.

If you are unsure, please contact us on 01259 225000 or contact us at the address at the bottom of this page.

Other sources of help and support

Specialist Helpline

There is a also specialist helpline for kinship carers and trained advisers are waiting to take your call.

  • 0844 576 2955
  • Calls are charged at 5p per minute from a BT landline

Related Publications & Documents

For Further Information Contact

Family Placement Team
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 225085 / 450000