Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Young Carers

Young Carers

Am I a young carer?

Carers provide unpaid help and support to a relative, friend or neighbour who cannot manage to live independently due to frailty, illness, disability or addiction.

A young carer is a carer who is under 18 years old, or is 18 years of age and is still a pupil at school.

The person you care for may be a parent, brother, sister, grandparent or other family member. You may be the main carer or you may be helping someone else.

As a carer, you may be doing any one or more of these things:

  • Providing physical support and help with personal care
  • Help with household tasks
  • Help with letters, phone calls and meetings
  • Taking care of finances
  • Listening and encouraging
  • Help to get the person out and about or take part in social activities
  • Just being there for them

For some people and at some times, caring for someone else can be a good experience. Some children and young people talk about gaining confidence, skills and knowledge from being an unpaid carer. Caring for someone can also be stressful and isolating. You may feel as if there is no-one you can speak to or that other people do not understand.

Who can I speak to? 

Some problems won't go away on their own, but you can feel a lot better when you talk to someone about them. You might want to talk to friends or family or you might decide to talk to someone like a teacher, doctor or social worker if you want someone to help you with something. You can refer to our Child Care web page for more information.

If you are finding it hard to find the right moment to bring something up with someone, you might want to try writing it down first in a diary, a poem, or a letter. You could practise what you want to say with ChildLine or telephone 0800 1111 or by getting in touch with youngcarersnet.

Teachers are often the first point of contact for young carers. Your teacher will be able to talk with you about what support you may need and will also help to put you in touch with other support services. Your school may also run a young carers group.

What is the Carers (Scotland) Act 2016?

The Carers (Scotland) Act 2016 introduced new rights for carers.

You can request a Young Carers Statement which will include information about you and what you want to see happen and about the person that you care for. There is a duty to provide support for carers whose needs meet the local eligibility criteria.

You can also refer to the Clackmannanshire and Stirling Health and Social Care Carers' Strategy 2019-22.

Where else can I go for help and advice?

There are local groups in Clackmannanshire, where you can meet other young carers and have some time out from your caring role.

If you are a young carer, you can get help and support from the Falkirk and Clackmannanshire Carers Centre, tel: 01259 226839.

The Carers Centre will be able to provide you with advice and information and will be able to help you to put together a Young Carers Statement, which will set out what you want.

If you would like to request a Young Carers Support Plan, you can speak to a teacher or you can contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.

Forth Valley Carers Card

If you are a carer, the Forth Valley Carers card provides identification and recognition of your role as a carer. The card also ensures you are more easily identified by health and social care professionals.

Related Publications & Documents

For Further Information Contact

Child Care
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 225000 / 450000