Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Child Performance Licence

Child Performance Licence

Children can benefit from the opportunity to perform on stage or screen, or take part in sporting or modelling activities. However, there is a need to ensure the child's safety and wellbeing are protected.

A licence is required for some activities to ensure that children are fit to participate, are looked after and treated well, and that their education will not suffer as a result of them taking part. 

The person responsible for obtaining the licence will be the person arranging the performance or licenced activity.

It is a legal requirement to get a licence and failure to do so is an offence. It is also an offence for a parent or carer to allow a child to take part in a licensable performance without a licence. The person responsible for obtaining a licence and/or the parent or carer may be subject to a fine, imprisonment or both.

Instances where a licence is required

A licence is required for the following:

  • all performances for which a charge is made, whether for admission or otherwise
  • all performances held in licenced premises, for example a hotel, pub or theatre
  • all performances which are broadcast live, for example a television or radio broadcast or internet screening
  • all performances recorded with a view to their use in a broadcast or in a film intended for public exhibition
  • modelling or sporting activities where payment, other than for expenses, is made to the child or someone else in respect of the child's participation

Amateur groups, musical performances, student productions and films are not exempt from the requirements.

You can apply for a Child Performance Licence by following the link.

Instances where a licence is not required

Where no payment (except for expenses) is made to the child or another person in connection with a performance, a licence is not required in respect of the following:

  • auditions
  • school productions
  • performances where the child has not taken part in a licensable performance on more than 3 other days in the last 6 months (sometimes known as "the 4 day rule")

If the child requires to be absent from school, the application should also be signed by their head teacher.

Further information

If you would like more detailed information, please refer to The Children (Performances and Activities) (Scotland) Regulations 2014.

  • Young Performers: A Guide for Parents and Guardians
    • This guidance, in partnership with Clan Childlaw, is for children and young people taking part in performances and is aimed at parents, and carers. It may be particularly helpful to any parents or carers who are looking to find out more about licensing and performance regulations in general.

For Further Information Contact

Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000