Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Council House Exchange

Council House Exchange

Swap Icon

What is a Mutual Exchange?

A mutual exchange is when 2 or more tenants agree to swap housing accommodation. Their landlords must agree to the exchange.

Who Can Apply?

Anyone who has a Scottish Secure Tenancy can apply. This includes tenants of:

  • a local authority
  • registered social landlord for example housing association
  • water authority or sewerage authority in Scotland
  • tenants of local authorities in England, Wales and Northern Ireland

How Can I Find Someone To Exchange With?

Clackmannanshire Council has recently joined House Exchange which is the UK's largest mutual exchanges service. It is free to all Clackmannanshire Council tenants and also tenants of Ochil View and Paragon Housing Associations.

House Exchange is replacing the mutual exchanges books that used to be held in the local offices. If you did previously have your name on the mutual exchange list then you will now need to register on House Exchange. This can be done by either accessing the site from your own home if you have a computer or by visiting Kilncraigs where a member of staff from the Housing OptionsTeam will assist you.

House Exchange uses the details that you supply to automatically match you to other tenants. When a match is found you will be alerted by email or text message. You can then login to your account on House Exchange to view who you have been matched with.

Please note that you still need to complete mutual exchange forms and request permission before you go ahead with an exchange.

How Do I Apply?

Once you have found someone to exchange with, you need to arrange to complete a mutual exchange application form. If you require assistance, a member of staff can help you complete this. You can also refer to our mutual exchange guide for information.

If you wish to exchange with someone who is not a tenant of Clackmannanshire Council you will also have to apply to their landlord.

What Happens Next?

Before agreeing to an exchange we will carry out the following checks:

  • that all parties have secure tenancies
  • that the houses are suitable for the needs of you and your family and will not cause overcrowding or under occupancy
  • the tenancies have been maintained to a satisfactory standard, which includes the houses being in a good states of decoration and repair
  • There are no outstanding debts and there is no legal action against you or any member of the household
  • There are no ongoing anti-social behaviour issues
  • If any of the properties are specially designed or adapted for persons with special needs
  • That any other landlord involved agrees to the exchange

There may be other circumstances when we will not allow an exchange to take place, but we will give you a written decision explaining why within 28 days of receiving your application.

When Can I Move?

If the exchange is approved, an appointment will be arranged for all parties to sign the relevant documents. You can arrange to move any time after receiving your acceptance letter and your new tenancy will begin on the Monday following acceptance.

For Further Information Contact

Tenancy Management Team
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 225100