This page may not be accurate, latest service updates can be found on our dedicated COVID-19 section.
When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these is contacting government departments and local council services that need to be told.
Tell Us Once is a free government service that allows you to report a death when you suffer a bereavement and need to tell central and local government.
Tell Us Once is voluntary to use and very helpful. It enables you to report a death only once, telling central and local government services securely and confidentially without you having to inform them individually.
Many services can be notified and these include:
After you have registered the death with the Registrar, if the service is offered face to face, they will complete the Tell Us Once service with you at the same time. Otherwise, the Registrar will provide you with a unique Tell Us Once reference number, which will enable you to access the online service or via the telephone service. The Tell Us Once service is explained in this video from the DWP - Reporting a death using the Tell Us Once service.
It will help you to have all the relevant information listed below about the person before using Tell Us Once:
You will also need:
- Permission is required from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator and anyone who was claiming benefits or entitlements jointly with the person who died, before you give their details.
- There is no need to follow-up contact after you have used Tell Us Once unless you don’t receive a confirmation from the relevant department after a reasonable period of time, in most cases a calendar month.
- Once the various agencies informed by Tell Us Once have received notification of the death, they will make any further contact if necessary with the bereaved family.
- Tell Us Once is not a claim to benefit, therefore please contact GOV.UK or the relevant department for advice.
- Tell Us Once does not notify any commercial organisations of the death and cannot arrange for redirection of post
Speirs Centre, Primrose Place, Alloa, FK10 1AD
Tel: 01259 723850 / 450000 Fax: 01259 723365