Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Planning a public event

Planning a public event

If you are organising a public event you need to be aware that a great deal of planning and organisation is required to run an event successfully.

You must consider the safety of all involved and the compliance with a wide range of legislation. You must remember that, at all times, you are responsible for all aspects of the event under your control including appropriate licences, risk assessments, insurances and complaince certificates.

If running an event regularly, you should review previous events on an ongoing basis, seek advice from relevant parties and implement any changes.

Responsibility can include seeking advice from a relevant authority or agency, completing a risk assessment and the identification of those measures which will maintain the duty of care for both organisers and attendees.

For some events, substantial resources may be necessary to fulfill traffic regulations, fire safety, medical cover and the maintenance of public orders.

We chair the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) for events planned within the area.

SAG member organisations

The following groups are permanently represented on the SAG:

  • Clackmannanshire Council 
  • Police Scotland
  • Scottish Fire and Rescue
  • Scottish Ambulance Service
  • NHS

There are a range of other organisations and agencies, such as the Maritime & Coastguard Agency, Transport Scotland, etc that can be consulted by the permanent group if the proposed event requires this.

Informing the Council of your event 

If you are planning an event you should consider events already organised to prevent any conflict of dates, routes or adverse cumulative impacts on communities. 

A list of some organised public events is available using the link below. 

You should then contact Clackmannanshire Council Licensing ( as soon as possible (no later than 12 weeks prior to your event) with your completed application form(s). 

Larger events or events that have the possibility to cause traffic disruption to the area require a minimum of 6 months notification prior the event taking place. 

As well as the completed form(s) above you must submit the following completed documents along with your completed application.

  • Event Plan
  • Risk Assessments
  • Site Plan
  • First Aid arrangement details
  • Security/Steward Plan
  • Traffic Management Plan
  • Safety Certificates
  • Public Liability Insurance documents
  • Food Hygiene Certificates
  • Emergency Plan
  • Certificate of Compliance for Mobile Food Van

For any specific questions or for advice, email

If your event requires either a civic or alcohol licence before it can go ahead, you should speak with the Civic and Alcohol Licensing Standards Officer, to discuss the licensing requirements. 

Please be aware that some licence applications are subject to minimum notification periods and if not lodged far enough in advance we may not be able to process the application and your event would not be able to go ahead.

As a guide alcohol licence applications for an occasional licence to sell alcohol require a minimum of 42 days, and most temporary Public Entertainment licences will require the completed and competent application to be lodged 3 months ahead of the event.

Where temporary road closures or traffic restrictions are required these applications must be submitted 4 months prior to the event taking place.

Public safety

Remember the organiser of the event is responsible for public safety at events.

We would encourage you to consult the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Event Safety Guide.

Event organisers are strongly urged to engage with community representatives to ensure a successful and safe event takes place.

Safety advice for bouncy castles/play inflatables

For safety advice for bouncy castles and other play inflatables at events, please refer to the HSE website.   

Are you supplying and/or selling food at your event?

Please refer to the Food Standards Agency website for information and useful allergen checklists for food businesses

If you are a community group or charity who will have food at an event, you can refer to the Food Standards Scotland Community and Charity Events guidance document.

Next Steps

Once submitted, the completed application form and associated paperwork will be distributed around relevant members of the SAG who may then contact you if it is thought that there are some issues that you need to consider or address.

A decision will be made as to whether the event organiser will require to meet with the SAG in person to discuss their event in more detail.

Based on the outcome of the SAG and reports from other agencies, the Licensing team will decide whether your licence can be granted or whether this requires to be heard by the Regulatory Committee.

Related Publications & Documents

For Further Information Contact

Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000