Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Licence - Animal Boarding

Licence - Animal Boarding

Licence summary

To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from Clackmannanshire Council. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

The maximum duration of a licence is 1 year.

The Council may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

Eligibility Criteria

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:
  • keeping an animal boarding establishment

  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951

  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954

  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006

  • owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006. In Scotland an applicant must also not be disqualified from working with, using, driving or riding animals, providing services to animals that would involve taking possession of them, taking possession of an animal to carry out any of the activities listed or taking charge of animals for any other purpose

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence


The fee payable is £107.80

Application Evaluation Process

The following criteria will be considered when an application is being evaluated:
  • That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.

  • That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.

  • That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.

  • That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.

  • That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period which is 6 months from the date of receipt of your application together with all supporting documentation. This period can be extended once if necessary due to the complexity of the issue provided we notify you of the extension and its duration before the expiry of the original 6 month period.


Please email to apply for this licence.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact our Licensing Administrator in the first instance.
Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to the Sheriff of Tayside, Central and Fife at Alloa.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact our Licensing Administrator in the first instance.
Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to the Sheriff of Tayside, Central and Fife at Alloa.

Consumer Complaint

We advise that in the event of a complaint you firstly contact the licence holder - in writing (with proof of delivery). If still dissatisfied, and you are located in the UK, Consumer Rights webpage will give you advice. If you are located outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Other Redress

A licence holder wishing to complain about another licence holder or anyone wishing to raise concerns about issues such as noise or pollution should contact the Licensing Administrator in the first instance.

Public Registers

The Licensing Authority maintains a database of animal boarding establishments showing name of licence holder, name and address of premises and date of renewal of licence.
Anyone wishing to access this database, should contact the Licensing Administrator

Trade Associations

Pet Care Trust (PCT)
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons

Please note that fees lodged with any Licence application are non-refundable.

For Further Information Contact

Licensing Team
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000