Tullibody is an ancient parish linked to Cambuskenneth Abbey. A church was founded in 1149, and parts of this ruined church are probably of that date, though a date stone records its restoration in 1539. It was damaged by the French army of Mary of Guise twenty years later. It was restored again, with the addition of a bellcote, in 1760 by George Abercromby and turned into the family mausoleum. In 1833 it became a chapel of ease, but it was abandoned as unsafe in 1904 and unroofed in 1916. The kirkyard contains some interesting gravestones, including the 15th century stone coffin known as the Maiden Stone.
Two phases of restoration work on the Old Kirk have now been completed: the bellcote has been restored, the walls have been pointed and grilles fitted in the window openings. A metal gate has also been fitted in the porch. It is hoped that all these improvements will protect the building from further vandalism, though both it and the gravestones remain at risk. The restoration work was made possible with the financial support of Historic Scotland and Clackmannanshire Council. Further restoration of the building is being planned.
Speirs Centre, Primrose Place, Alloa, FK10 1AD
Tel: 01259 452262/450000