Forth Valley Schools Cross Country Championships
Tuesday 4th March 2008
The Annual Forth Valley Schools Cross Country Championships took place on Thursday the 28th of February at the West End Park, Alloa.
There were over 300 children there from 41 primary schools, plus 170 children from 13 secondary schools across Forth Valley. These runners had qualified from the respective Clackmannanshire, Stirling and Falkirk events and there was great excitement and anticipation from the runners about this chance to represent their schools at the Forth Valley event.
The day began with the primary races for P6-7 boys and girls over a 1 mile course.
The secondary races followed in the afternoon with S1-3 boys and girls competing over a lengthened course of 1.5 miles. It was clear that everyone was eager to produce a top performance for their school and the runners competed well with many fine performances.
Robert Russell, three times Scottish Cross Country Champion, (Central Athletic Club) presented the trophies at the event and commented;
I was delighted to be asked to come along to this event and I was so impressed by the standard of performance. The participants' determination and drive shown throughout each race was there for all to see. Personally I thought that there was a lot of promising potential on show.
Liz Francis, Sport Central Athletics Development Manager, commented;
The event was really well organised by Clackmannanshire's Sports Development Team. Another positive was that Sport Central, Clackmannanshire Council, Active Stirling and Falkirk Council worked in partnership along with the local athletics clubs, Central and Falkirk Victoria Harriers, to help ensure the smooth running of the event on the day. As a result so many aspiring young people enjoyed an excellent day.
Thanks go to St Andrews Ambulance Service for the service they provided and also to our main sponsor Highland Spring Water who generously provided every runner with a bottle of water at the finish line.
- P6 Girls Individual; 1st Place Julie Nimmo Carron PS 6m28s; 2nd Place Roisin Bonucchi Strathdevon PS 6m35s; 3rd Place Alana Bogan Head of Muir PS 6m43s
- P6 Girls Team; 1st Place Head of Muir PS 23 pts, 2nd Place Alva PS 43pts, 3rd Place Strathdevon PS 44 pts
- P6 Boys Individual; 1st Place Vincent Gillespie Bridge of Allan PS 6m19s; 2nd Place Daniel Stansfield Newton PS 6m21s, 3rd Place Sam Davidson St Ninians PS 6m24s
- P6 Boys Team; 1st Place Newton PS 29pts, 2nd Place Carron PS 34pts, 3rd Place Dunblane PS 60pts
- P7 Girls Individual; 1st Place Shivohn Honeyman Larbert Village 6m28s, 2nd Place Emily Greenan Newton PS6m53s, 3rd Place Eleanor Hopkins Thornhill PS 6m56s
- P7 Girls Team; 1st Place Newton PS 24pts, 2nd Place St Ninians PS 36pts, 3rd Place Thornhill PS 43pts
- P7 Boys Individual; 1st Place Alistair Kirkwood St Andrews PS 5m55s, 2nd Place Andrew McNally Balfron PS 5m58s, 3rd Place Jack Gater Newton PS 6m08s
- P7 Boys Team; 1st Place Larbert Village 43pts, 2nd Place Sunnyside PS 51pts, 3rd Place Alva PS 59pts
- S1 Girls Individual; 1st Place Kathirine Mitchell Larbert HS 10m34s, 2nd Place Kirsty Buchanan Stirling HS 10m58s, 3rd Place Kayrine Kelly Stirling HS 11m34s
- S1 Boys Individual; 1st Place Gordon Milne Stirling HS 9m52s, 2nd Place Sam Park Stirling HS 10m04s, 3rd Place Ross Burke Lornshill Academy 10m12s
- S2 Girls Individual; 1st Place, Lucy Mitchell Larbert HS 10m07s, 2nd Place Abby Kemp Falkirk HS 10m50s, 3rd Place Julie Cook Alva Academy 10m56s
- S2 Boys Individual; 1st Place Connor Kerr St Modans HS 9m02s, 2nd Place Kieran Everden Balfron HS 9m20s, 3rd Place Alexander Coughbrough Stirling HS 9m22s
- S3 Girls Individual 1st Place Rosie Hastings Stirling HS 10m18s, 2nd Place Sarah Hamilton St Mungos HS 10m21s, 3rd Place Helen Edmond Denny 11m04s
- S3 Boys Individual; 1st Place Graeme McGregor Larbet HS 8m27s, 2nd Place Tom Watson Balfron HS 8m32s, 3rd Place Ross Milne Stirling HS 8m56s
- Secondary Girls Team; 1st Place Stirling HS 19pts, 2nd Place Larbert HS 28pts, 3rd Place Falkirk HS 32pts
- Secondary Boys Team; 1st Place Larbert HS 13pts, 2nd Place Stirling HS 18pts, 3rd Place Balfron HS 51pts
For information on Athletics in the area, give Ryan Martin at Sports Development a call on 01259 222355.