Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Emergency Ride Home

Emergency Ride Home


The Clackmannanshire Council 'Emergency Ride Home' scheme is provided for those members of staff registered for the Council's TripshareClacks car sharing scheme. The scheme is in place for those unable to get home in the event of an emergency occurring during working hours due to car sharing commitments. Under the 'Emergency Ride Home' scheme, if a member of a registered car share has to leave at an unexpected time and no practical alternative route home is available for the passenger member(s) of the car share, the Council will pay for transport to their home.

What is classed as an 'Emergency'?
  • a home emergency (such as reported burglary, fire, flood etc) requiring your immediate attendance
  • a personal illness or an illness/injury of an immediate family member requiring your immediate attendance
  • an unforeseen work reason (approved by your line manager) which means you cannot leave work at your normal time or within 30 minutes of that normal time
  • the breakdown or damage to the shared vehicle during the course of the working day

The above emergencies can apply to any member of the car share, the 'Emergency Ride Home' would only be available to the passenger(s).

What are the conditions of the scheme?
  • You must be a registered member of TripshareClacks
  • You and your driver must be an employee of the Council
  • You must be a car share passenger on the day you require to use the scheme
  • Your need to use the scheme is defined as an emergency (see above)
  • Your emergency must been unforeseeen
What is not covered by the scheme?
  • Personal errands
  • Pre-planned medical appointments
  • Business related travel
  • Working late, other than at a line managers request
  • Early office closures, unless the car sharers work in different offices and only one is being closed early
  • Travel which should be provided by an ambulance
  • Non-emergency side trips on the way home, intermediate stops are allowed if it relates to the emergency
  • Travel for the driver due to damage or breakdown of the vehicle
  • Tips to taxi drivers are optional and the responsibility of the employee
How do I claim an 'Emergency Ride Home'?
  1. The driver must notify the passenger(s) as soon as possible if they have an emergency which means they cannot take their passengers home. If they are unable to do so, they should ask a colleague to inform them.
  2. If there is more than one passenger then they must firstly check with each other to see what arrangements have or could be made to get home together.
  3. The passengers should try to see if there is anyone within the Council travelling to the same area who may be able to offer them a lift home.
  4. If no alternative arrangement can be found, the passenger must confirm with their line manager that an emergency has occurred and the scheme can be used.
  5. The passenger should then establish what public transport options are available to get them home - you can get this information from or by phoning Traveline on 0871 200 22 33.
  6. If public transport is not a realistic alternative for whole or part of the journey, you line manager may authorise the use of a taxi. If you claim for an inappropriate mode you will be liable to pay the difference. Taxis may be used where time is a critical consideration i.e. illness or home emergency.
  7. Obtain and retain a receipt for all public transport and/or taxi journeys.
  8. Submit a claim form to finance (Staff Travel and Subsistence Claim Form), which must be authorised by your line manager.


For Further Information Contact

Travel Plan, Roads, Traffic & Transportation
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000