Social Service Research Access Request
Social Services are keen to benefit from the learning and development that comes from supporting research access requests. To ensure capacity to respond appropriately we have reviewed our process for MSc Social Work students and external researchers to apply for access to local Services.
The Scottish Government and ADSW issued Local Authorities with guidance. The key theme within this guidance is to promote and facilitate a culture of research and continuous learning within Local Authorities and, as such, there is a presumption that access will be offered when the following conditions have been met:
- The proposal has been agreed by a University ethics committee.
- The project falls within the definition of research.
- There is a formal process of academic supervision in place.
- The research does not have a detrimental effect on the Service or resources.
Using these guidelines we have agreed the following process:
- Research requests will be received by email.
- We will verify the proposal has ethics committee approval and the student has a named academic supervisor.
- The requests will be forwarded to the relevant manager(s). This will include the research proposal with appropriate confirmation of ethics committee approval and a named academic supervisor.
- Manager(s) would review the request and advise the Head of Social Services of their recommendation to approve or reject the application.
- The Head of Service would write to the applicant informing them of the outcome.
- If approved, the research applicant would be granted access as per agreement of relevant manager(s).
Submitting a Social Service research access request
If you wish to request research access, please email the following documents:
Research proposal, including a named academic supervisor.
Confirmation of approval from University ethics committee.
- Following completion of your research you will be asked to provide the service(s) with a summary of your findings.
Related Publications & Documents
For Further Information Contact
Social Services Learning & Development
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 226845