Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Buying a Home in the Open Market

Buying a Home in the Open Market

Information about land and property for sale in Clackmannanshire is available from

  • any local estate agent or solicitor
  • local newspapers such as the Wee County News and Alloa Advertiser have property sections
  • property sites on the internet, such as S1 homes or Rightmove

Buying an existing property

For information about the process of buying a property in Scotland see Shelter Scotland - Buying a home.

Home Report

From 1st December 2008, houses for sale have to be marketed with a Home Report. The Home Report contains a Single Survey, an Energy Report and a Property Questionnaire.

The single survey contains an assessment by a surveyor of the condition of the home, a valuation and an accessibility audit for people with particular needs.

The energy report contains an assessment by a surveyor of the energy efficiency of the home and its environmental impact in terms of carbon dioxide emissions. It also recommends ways to improve its energy efficiency.

The property questionnaire is completed by the seller of the home. It contains additional information about the home, such as council tax banding, costs for repairs and maintenance to common parts in flats and any service costs that will be useful to buyers.

More information about the home report is available on the Scottish Government's website.

Exceptions to the duties to provide a Home Report

New housing

New housing includes homes that may be sold 'off-plan' to the first purchaser or sold to the first occupier.

Any subsequent sale of a home will not be exempt even if it has a certificate from, for example, the National House-Building Council (NHBC).

Newly converted premises

This means a property which is being, or has been, converted to a home if it has not previously been used in its converted state.

Seasonal and holiday accommodation

This exception refers to seasonal and holiday accommodation (as defined in planning legislation), which only has permission to be used for less than 11 months in any year. It does not include second homes or holiday cottages that could be used all year if the owner so chose.

A portfolio of residential properties

This means a home which is to be sold with one or more other homes and where it is clear from the manner in which the homes are marketed that the seller does not intend to accept an offer to buy one of those homes in isolation from another. Sales of a portfolio of residential properties are considered to be commercial transactions. A home which is ancillary to a principal property may include, for example a 'granny flat', or butler's cottage that is attached to a larger property on a country estate.

'Mixed sales'

This occurs where a home is sold with one or more non-residential properties (provided it is clear that the seller does not intend to consider an offer to buy the home separately from the non-residential property). This might include farmhouses that are part of a working farm, or flats above shops or pubs that are sold with the shop or pub.

Dual use of a dwelling house

This describes the situation where the home is, or forms part of, a property most recently used for both residential and non-residential purposes, such as a commercial studio where the owner also lives in the home.

Unsafe properties

Unsafe properties are evidently in a condition that poses a serious risk to the health or safety of occupants or visitors, or where the way the home is marketed suggests it is unsuitable for occupation in that condition. There is little point in a condition survey being undertaken on a home that is unfit for occupation in any case, and is being advertised as such.

Properties to be demolished

There is an exception for homes to be demolished where it is clear the home is suitable for demolition and all the necessary consents have been obtained for demolition and consents obtained for redevelopment. There is little point in a condition survey being undertaken on a home that is to be demolished and is being advertised as a development site.

Acquiring a site and building a house

The Development Management (Planning) service deals with housing proposals and the Council always encourages prospective applicants to seek advice before proposals are finalised.

For Further Information Contact

Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000 Fax: 01259 452400