Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

What to do if I become ill

What to do if I become ill

What do I do if I become ill?

If you’ve developed a new continuous cough, a fever/high temperature or loss of or change in sense of smell or taste (anosmia), you should contact NHS to book a test, stay at home for 10 days from the day your symptoms started and contact your line manager. This applies to any employee whether they are working in the office, at home or on special leave.

For the most up-to-date information and advice please go to the NHS Inform website.

We appreciate that you may be anxious or have concerns about what you should do if you are living with a family member who has developed symptoms or if you’re  an essential worker and having to come in to your place of work and a colleague becomes ill. The guidance and advice below should help to allay any concerns:

I have been in close contact with someone who has started showing symptoms of Coronavirus. Should I self-isolate?

Only if you live with someone who has developed symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 7 days. You should self isolate at home for 14 days.

Only phone your GP or 111 if you develop symptoms which are severe. Unless you have developed one or more of these specific symptoms you should carry on as normal.

What happens if I’m at my place of work and some becomes unwell?

You should inform a responsible person if you think someone is becoming unwell at work.

If someone becomes unwell and you believe they may be at risk of Coronavirus (e.g. through contact with a confirmed case), you should take the following actions:

  • The individual should phone their GP or NHS 24 (phone 111) immediately for advice. You can do this on their behalf if this is easier. They should not attend their GP practice or A&E in person. If they are so unwell that they require an ambulance, phone 999 and let the call handler know you are concerned about Coronavirus.
  • Find somewhere safe for the unwell person to sit which is at least 2 metres away from other people. If possible, find a room or area where they can be isolated behind a closed door, such as a staff office or meeting room. If possible, open a window for ventilation.
  • Direct, physical contact with the person should be avoided wherever possible. The individual should avoid touching people, surfaces and objects and be advised to cover their mouth and nose with a disposable tissue when they cough or sneeze, and then put the tissue in the bin. If no bin is available, put the tissue in a bag or pocket for disposing in a bin later.
  • You should report the incident by phoning 01259 452225 or 01259 452199 (both available 24/7) as soon as possible.