Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Domestic Abuse support

Domestic Abuse support

The lockdown due to Coronavirus has meant staying at home for longer periods. Those who can work at home are being told they should do so and the Government are advising us only to go out for essential shopping and exercise. However this creates specific challenges and potential risks for people who experience domestic abuse at home and also for their children and young people.

It is important to think through what steps you can take to keep safe.

How might you respond in different situations?

How will you get help if you need it?

Women’s Aid has advice and support on their website how to stay safe during lockdown, including:

  • Make sure your mobile phone is on you at all times
    • Try to make sure your mobile phone is charged.
  • Family, friends and neighbours can support you
    • Keep in touch with people you trust over the phone or online. This could be a friend, family member, neighbour, carer, or support worker.
    • You can use the opportunities when you can leave the house to make these calls ie when you go to the supermarket. Talk to them if you can about what you are experiencing.
    • Think about having a code word with a trusted person that lets them know it is not safe to talk or to ask them to phone the police.
  • Police Scotland
    • Do not be afraid to call 999 in an emergency
      • Silent Solution
        • When you call 999, the operator (the person on the phone) will ask which emergency service is required. Listen to the questions from the 999 operator. If you cannot say ‘police’ or ‘ambulance’, respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can.
        • If prompted, press 55 on your phone. This lets the 999 call operator know it’s an emergency and that you aren’t safe to speak. Click here to find out more.
      • Emergency text service
        • If you can’t call because you are blind/deaf or can’t verbally communicate, you can register with the police text service. Text REGISTER to 999. You will get a text which tells you what to do next. Do this when it is safe so you can text when you are in danger. Click here to find out more.
    • Reporting a crime
      • If you need to report a crime but you are not in immediate danger, you can call the police on 101 or report online. The police have a duty to protect you and your children. You should not be discriminated against for any reason, including your immigration status.

There will be changes regarding how some organisations offer support services over the coming weeks, keeping in mind their own staff’s safety, including providing their service over the phone, online, by text or by email.

While services will not be able to operate at their usual capacity, national and local Domestic Abuse services and other relevant services will aim to continue to be available to offer support and guidance including safety planning.