Whins Resource Centre
The Whins is a Resource Centre which offers a variety of services for people with a physical or sensory impairment from the ages of 16 upwards.
People access the service to take part in meaningful activities, and have the opportunity to socialise.
A wide range of activities are on offer to suit individual needs.
Some of the activities currently on offer are:
- Leisure and Recreation
- Multi-sports events
- Social outings
- Ten pin bowling
- Local outings to points of interest and work with computer software to edit photos. The group has created a calendar of their work in the past.
- Several staff are trained in talking mats and British Sign Language (BSL). Also 1 to 1 communication work has been carried out with input from Speech and Language team.
- Arts and crafts
- Card craft
- Encaustic art
- Independent living skills/baking
- The Whins has a kitchen that has been adapted for both ambulant and wheelchair users. Staff can support people to learn kitchen skills with adapted aids.
- The computer room has 8 computers, with many linked to Broadband internet. There is also a newsletter group who create a bimonthly newsletter.
- We have a SMART Board, and free Wi-Fi throughout the building.
- Multi-sensory room
- This can be used for relaxation.
- The Whins has a small garden which is maintained and enjoyed by staff and service users.
- Gym / Physiotherapy
- The centre has a gym which is well equipped with a treadmill, exercise bike, various weights machines, tilt table. Service users can either use it with support from staff to stay fit, or follow a physiotherapy programme which is devised with input from Area Rehab Team.
- Cycle Project
- The centre has purchased a variety of adapted bicycles to allow small groups of service users to take part in cycling, with the support of a trained Cycle Leader. These bicycles can also be loaned to individuals or groups in the community. Please see our Cycle Project web page.
The service strives to access community based activities/opportunities whenever possible.
Read profiles of some of our service users
Staff work closely with the REACH team, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists, dieticians, community learning disabilities team, district nurses, colleges, advocacy etc.
The centre has an adapted bathroom and toilets to provide individual support and personal care. We have a range of equipment for anyone who requires assistance with their mobility.
A bathing service can be offered to people who are awaiting adaptations to their bathrooms at home, or where bathing at home is not possible. The bathing service can be carried out as a separate service to day care, or as part of a day care package.
For further information, please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page. Alternatively, you can contact us using the details below.
For Further Information Contact
Whins Resource Centre
The Whins, Whins Road, Alloa, FK10 3SA
Tel: 01259 226800 / 450000 Fax: 01259 226803